VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (13 CD, 2007)


 Originally released early in 2003, the groundbreaking series took seven years to complete and involved over 80 singers and instrumentalists. It remains the definitive collection of Robert Burns's song and the timeless poetry of Burns is brought vividly to life in this unique 12-volume CD archive. Encompassing ballads and bawdy songs (note the explicit lyrics warning on volume 11), patriotic and political anthems plus songs which bring Scottish places and people to life, this collection of songs touches on all aspects of human nature and is a true representation of a vigorous folk tradition past and present. There are over 360 songs to enjoy; some of which are world-famous and some hidden gems (knowledge of which will mark the listener as a true Burns fan). Tracks include: Auld Lang Syne, My Luve's Like a Red, Red Rose, Sweet Afton, Ay Waukin O, Scots Wha Hae, Mary Queen of Scots Lament, In Edinburgh Town, My heart's in the Highlands and Ae fond Kiss. Featured musicians include members of Battlefield Band, The Cast, The Corries, Deaf Shepherd, MacAlias, Malinky, Old Blind Dogs and many more.

 


Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796), also known familiarly as Rabbie Burns, the National Bard, Bard of Ayrshire, the Ploughman Poet and various other names and epithets, was a Scottish poet and lyricist. He is widely regarded as the national poet of Scotland and is celebrated worldwide. He is the best known of the poets who have written in the Scots language, although much of his writing is in a "light Scots dialect" of English, accessible to an audience beyond Scotland. He also wrote in standard English, and in these writings his political or civil commentary is often at its bluntest.

As well as making original compositions, Burns also collected folk songs from across Scotland, often revising or adapting them. His poem (and song) "Auld Lang Syne" is often sung at Hogmanay (the last day of the year), and "Scots Wha Hae" served for a long time as an unofficial national anthem of the country. Other poems and songs of Burns that remain well known across the world today include "A Red, Red Rose", "A Man's a Man for A' That", "To a Louse", "To a Mouse", "The Battle of Sherramuir", "Tam o' Shanter" and "Ae Fond Kiss". 

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_01\

01  - Tony Cuffe - When Rosy May Comes In Wi' Flowers
02  - Rod Paterson - O, That I Had Ne'er Been Married
03  - Tony Cuffe & Rod Paterson - Wee Willie Gray
04  - Janet Russell - O Wha'll Mow Me Now
05  - Billy Ross - Brose And Butter
06  - Ian F. Benzie - The Wintry West Extends His Blast
07  - Tony Cuffe - Sweet Afton
08  - Janet Russell & Christine Kydd - Duncan Gray
09  - Billy Ross - The Winter It Is Past
10  - Christine Kydd & Rod Paterson - Gudeen To You Kimmer
11  - Alan Reid - Kellyburn Braes
12  - Christine Kydd - The Slave's Lament
13  - Rod Paterson - Of A' The Airts The Wind Can Blaw
14  - Ian F. Benzie - What Can A Young Lassie Do Wi An Auld Man
15  - Tony Cuffe - Ay, Waukin, O
16  - Rod Paterson - O, Steer Her Up, And Hand Her Gaun
17  - Tony Cuffe - The Cooper O Cuddy
18  - Rod Paterson - O, Rattlin, Roarin Willie
19  - Janet Russell - To The Weaver's Gin You Go
20  - Billy Ross - Lady Mary Ann
21  - Ian F. Benzie - Montgomerie's Peggy
22  - Rod Paterson - The Lea-Rigg
23  - Tony Cuffe - Yestreen I Had A Pint O Wine

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_02\

01 - Ian Bruce - The Soldier's Return
02 - Gordeanna McCulloch - The Reel O' Stumpie
03 - Billy Ross - I Hae A Wife O' My Ain
04 - Rod Paterson - My Nanie, O
05 - Ian Bruce - Ye Jacobites By Name
06 - Alan Reid - Rantin', Rovin' Robin
07 - Billy Ross - O, Let Me In This Ae Night
08 - Christine Kydd - The Auld Man's Mare's Dead
09 - Ian F. Benzie - How Cruel Are The Parents
10 - Arthur Johnstone - Leezie Lindsay
11 - Rod Paterson - My Wife's A Wanton, Wee Thing
12 - Janet Russell - To Daunton Me
13 - Janet Russell & Christine Kydd - Hey Ca' Thro & The Deil's Awa Wi' Th'exciseman
14 - Billy Ross - The Silver Tassie
15 - Tony Cuffe - Kissin' My Katie
16 - Arthur Johnstone - Scots Wha Hae
17 - Alan Reid - O, Were I On Parnassus Hill
18 - Gordeanna McCulloch - O An' Ye Were Dead Gudeman
19 - Rod Paterson - Willie Wastle
20 - Billy Ross - Beware O' Bonnie Ann
21 - Tony Cuffe & Rod Paterson - Willie Brew'd A Peck O' Maut
22 - Gordeanna McCulloch - A Rose-Bud By My Early Walk
23 - Billy Ross - Whistle O'er The Lave O't
24 - Tony Cuffe - Jumpin' John
25 - Rod Paterson - The Dusty Miller
26 - Alan Reid - My Collier Laddie
27 - Tony Cuffe - The Weary Pund O' Tow
28 - Ian Bruce - Now Westlin Winds And Slaught'ring Guns

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_03\

01 - Leslie Hale - Where Cart Rins Rowin
02 - Ian Bruce - Ca The Yowes
03 - Wendy Weatherby - An O For Ane And Twenty Tam + Wha My Babie Clouts + Blythe, Blythe
04 - Ronnie Browne - Auld Lang Syne
05 - Ian Bruce - Craigieburn-Wood
06 - Mick West - Ye Banks And Braes O' Bonie Doon
07 - Leslie Hale - Cauld Blaws The Wind Frae East To West
08 - Mick West - She's Fair And Fause
09 - Wendy Weatherby - O Leave Novels + The Bairns Gat Out
10 - Brian Miller - Lang Hae We Parted Been
11 - Ian Bruce - Lassie Wi' The Lintwhite Locks
12 - Wendy Weatherby - Loud Blaw The Frosty Breezes
13 - Mick West - It Was A' For Our Rightfu' King
14 - Brian Miller - Whare Are You Gaun, My Bonnie Lass
15 - Gordeanna McCulloch - Comin Thro' The Rye
16 - Ronnie Browne - The Birks Of Aberfeldy
17 - Brian Miller - O Tibbie, I Hae Seen The Day
18 - Wendy Weatherby - Logan Braes
19 - Ronnie Browne - Landlady Count The Lawin
20 - Gordeanna McCulloch - Tam Glen
21 - Wendy Weatherby - I Am My Mammie's Ae Bairn + O Whistle And I'll Come To You
22 - Ronnie Browne - O Where Hae Ye Been, Lord Ronald, My Son
23 - Ian Bruce - The Thames Flows Proudly To The Sea
24 - Ian Bruce - Such A Parcel Of Rogues In A Nation
25 - Mick West - Come Boat Me O'er
26 - Leslie Hale - On A Bank Of Flowers

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_04\

01 - Jamie McMenemy - O Lay Thy Loof In Mine, Lass + Altho' My Back Be To The Wa' + Gude Ale Comes
02 - Davy Steele - Robin Shure In Hairst
03 - Wendy Weatherby - My Harry Was A Gallant Gay + A' The Lads O' Thornybank + The White Cockade
04 - Davy Steele - O My Luve's Like A Red, Red Rose
05 - Jamie McMenemy - Louis, What Reck I By Thee + In Mauchline
06 - Mick West - Hey, How My Johnie Lad
07 - Ian Bruce - O, When She Cam Ben, She Bobbed + O Mally's Meek
08 - Lesley Hale - The Ploughman
09 - Corrina Hewat - Thou Gloomy December
10 - James Malcolm - The Shepherd's Wife
11 - Wendy Weatherby - O, Whar Gat Ye That Hauver-Meal Bannock
12 - Jamie McMenemy - Sir John Cope
13 - Corrina Hewat - Dost Ask Me, Why I Send Thee Here + O Can Ye Labour Lea
14 - Mick West - Tibbie Fowler O' The Glen
15 - James Malcolm - The Small Birds Rejoice
16 - Lesley Hale - I Hae Been At Crookie-Den
17 - Davy Steele - O May, Thy Morn
18 - Mick West - As I Went Out Ae May Morning
19 - Davy Steele - I Maun Hae A Wife + Young And Souple Was I
20 - James Malcolm - Awa' Wi' Your Witchcraft
21 - Lesley Hale - One Night As I Did Wander + Out Over The Forth
22 - Jamie McMenemy - O, Luve Will Venture In

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_05\

01 - Ian F. Benzie - A Man's A Man For A' That
02 - Corrina Hewat - There Was A Lass, They Ca'd Her Meg + Amang The Trees
03 - Elspeth Cowie - Thou Hast Left Me Ever, Jamie + Let Not Woman E'er Complain + Gat Ye Me, O, Gat Ye Me
04 - James Malcolm - The Lovely Lass Of Inverness
05 - Jamie McMenemy - Seroggam + O Gie The Lass Her Fairin', Lad
06 - Ian F. Benzie - Hughie Graham
07 - Davy Steele - John Barleycorn (A Ballad)
08 - Jamie McMenemy - There's Three True Gude Fellows + Johnie Blunt
09 - Elspeth Cowie - Braw, Braw Lads On Yarrow Braes
10 - Corrina Hewat - The Gloomy Night Is Gath'ring Fast
11 - John Morran - Contented Wi' Little, And Cantie Wi' Mair
12 - Jamie McMenemy - The Lass That Made The Bed To Me
13 - Corrina Hewat - Frae The Friends And Land I Love
14 - Jamie McMenemy - Killiecrankie
15 - Davy Steele - O Once I Lov'd A Bonnie Lass
16 - Jamie McMenemy - There'll Never Be Peace 'Till Jamie Comes Home
17 - John Morran - Glencoe + Sweetest May
18 - James Malcolm - Caledonia
19 - Davy Steele - Masonie Song
20 - James Malcolm - There Grows A Bonie Brier-Bush
21 - Eslpeth Cowie - O, I Am Come To The Low Countrie
22 - Ian F. Benzie - Green Sleeves + Sweet Tibbie Dunbar + Lassie, Lend Me Your Braw Hemp Heckie

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_06\

01 - Mae McKenna - O, Mirk, Mirk Is This Midnight Hour
02 - Ed Miller - Turn Again, Thou Fair Eliza!
03 - James Malcolm - Awa, Whigs, Awa!
04 - John Morran - Bonie Wee Thing
05 - Gillian MacDonald - Twa Bonie Lads + Young Jockie
06 - Alistair Hulett - When Guilford Good Our Pilot Stood
07 - Mae McKenna - O, Meikle Thinks My Luve
08 - John Morran - Helen O' Kirkconnel
09 - Alistair Hulett - Tho' Cruel Fate + She Is A Winsome Wee Thing
10 - James Malcolm - Auld Rob Morris
11 - Ed Miller - When First I Came To Stewart Kyle + O, Saw Ye Bonie Lesley
12 - John Morran & Elspeth Cowie - Wha Is That At My Bower-Door
13 - Gillian MacDonald - Craigieburn Wood + The Day Returns
14 - Elspeth Cowie - Jamie, Come Try Me + John Anderson My Jo
15 - John Morran - And I'll Kiss Thee Yet + In Comin' By The Brig O' Dye
16 - Alistair Hulett - As I Cam Down By Yon Castle Wa' + My Lady's Gown
17 - Gillian MacDonald - Hee Balou, My Sweet Wee Donald + Bannocks O'Bear Meal
18 - John Morran - From Thee, Eliza, I Must Go
19 - John Morran - Peg Nicholson
20 - Gillian MacDonald - Last May A Braw Wooer
21 - Mae McKenna - My Heart Is Sair + You're Welcome, Willie Stewart

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_07\

01 - John Morran - The Captain's lady
02 - Gillian MacDonald - The wren's nest + John come kiss me
03 - George Duff - Nae gentle dames
04 - Bobby Eaglesham - Raving winds
05 - Gillian MacDonald - The taylor
06 - Aimee Leonard - The rowin't in her apron
07 - Bobby Eaglesham - My girl she's airy
08 - Karine Polwart - As I was wand'ring
09 - Alistair Huelett - Geordie
10 - George Duff - Sensibility how charming
11 - Aimee Leonard - Charlie, he's my darling
12 - Gillian MacDonald - The heather was blooming
13 - Alistair Huelett - The guidwife count the lawin + No churchman am I
14 - Bobby Eaglesham - I'd dream'd I lay
15 - Gillian MacDonald - There's a youth in this city + Highland laddie
16 - Alistair Huelett - Sae flaxen were her ringlets
17 - George Duff - Up and waur them a', Jamie
18 - Aimee Leonard - Streams that glide
19 - George Duff - Young Peggy blooms
20 - John Morran - Long, long the night

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_08\

01 - Mairi Campbell  - Ken Ye Ought O' Captain Grose
02 - Ross Kennedy  - Wha Will Buy My Troggin
03 - Ian Bruce  - Galloway Tam
04 - Mairi Campbell  - Behold, My Love
05 - Karine Polwart  - Weary Fa' You, Duncan Gray
06 - Mae McKenna  - Wandering Willie
07 - George Duff  - Ithers Seek
08 - Karine Polwart  - O, Cam Ye Here The Fight To Shun
09 - Ross Kennedy  - Extempore + Saint Stephen's House
10 - Mae McKenna  - Mary Queen Of Scots Lament
11 - Bobby Eaglesham  - The Groves Of Sweet Myrtle
12 - Ross Kennedy  - O Poortith Cauld + My Eppie Adair
13 - Mae McKenna  - O Dear Minny + There's News Lasses
14 - Karine Polwart  - Wae Is My Heart + The Banks Of The Devon
15 - George Duff  - Fairest Maid + As Late By A Sodger
16 - John Morran  - Green Grow The Rashes, O
17 - Ian Anderson  - Twas Na Her Bonie Blue E'e + Cauld Is The E'enin Blast
18 - Ian Bruce  - The Auld Man's Winter Thought
19 - John Morran  - I Do Confess
20 - George Duff  - The Sun Is Sunk
21 - Bobby Eaglesham  - Blythe Hae I Been + I'll Ay Ca' In By Yon Town
22 - Mae McKenna  - Ae Fond Kiss (Original Version)
23 - Bobby Eaglesham  - What Merriment Has Taen The Whigs
24 - Ross Kennedy  - Nanie's Awa
25 - Mairi Campbell  - I Coft A Stane O'Haslock Woo + My Sandie O

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_09\

01 - Ross Kennedy  - O Were My Love Yon Lilac Fair + Ye Jovial Boys
02 - Karine Polwart  - The Noble Maxwells
03 - Niall Kenny  - O, Open the Door
04 - Kirsten Easdale  - There Was Five Carlins
05 - Ross Kennedy  - While Larks With Little Wing + Lovely Was She
06 - Niall Kenny  - O Why the Deuce + Carl An the King Come + I Murder Hate
07 - Jim Reid  - O, Ken Ye What Meg O' the Mill Has Gotten (Parts 1 & 2)
08 - Ross Kennedy  - Corn Rigs Are Bonie
09 - Kirsten Easdale  - Your Friendship + O How Can I Be Blithe
10 - Jim Reid  - As I Cam in By Our Gate-End + There Was A Jolly Gauger
11 - Mairi Campbell  - Why Tell Thy Lover + Musing
12 - Karine Polwart  - O, Leeze Me on My Spinnin-Wheel
13 - Kirsten Easdale  - Where Braving Angry Winter's Storms
14 - Karine Polwart  - My Heart's in the Highlands
15 - Kirsten Easdale  - O, Kenmure's on and Awa + The Campbells Are Comin
16 - Jim Reid  - Will Ye Go To the Indies
17 - Mairi Campbell  - O Thou Pale Orb
18 - Jim Reid  - Thine Am I
19 - Jim Reid  - The Smiling Spring
20 - Karine Polwart  - My Heart Is Wae
21 - Ross Kennedy  - Ye Banks and Braes and Streams

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_10\

01 - John Nichol  - Adown Winding Nith
02 - Gillian Frame  - How Can My Poor Heart Be Glad
03 - Gordon Kelly  - 'Twas Past One O'Clock
04 - Jim Reid  - Yon Wild Mossy Mountains + O Saw Ye My Dearie
05 - Billy Ross  - Mary Morrison
06 - John Nichol  - On Cessnock Banks
07 - John Croall  - Is This Thy Plighted, Fond Regard + This Is No My Ain Lassie
08 - Billy Ross  - MacPherson's Farewell
09 - Gordon Kelly  - Here's A Health To Them + Here's A Health To Ane
10 - Billy Ross  - As Down The Burn + My Peggy's Face
11 - Jim Reid  - Wham Will We Send
12 - Mairi Campbell  - Ye Flowery Banks + The Lazy Mist
13 - Jim Reid & Gillian McDonald  - Come Let Me Take Thee + Jockie's Ta'en The Parting Kiss
14 - Gillian Frame  - O Saw Ye My Dear
15 - Kirsten Easdale  - I Sing Of A Whistle
16 - Gordon Kelly  - Man Was Made To Mourn
17 - Lesley Hale & Gillian Frame  - Husband, Husband
18 - Jim Reid  - Anna + The Catrine Woods
19 - Lionel McClelland  - Sleep'st Thou Or Wak'st Thou + Mark Yonder Pomp
20 - Jim Reid  - Where Are The Joys
21 - Lionel MccLelland  - It Is Na Jean
22 - John Nichol  - O Stay + O Ay My Wife She Dang Me

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_11\

cd1\
01 - Kirsten Easdale & Ross Kennedy  - Ca' The Yowes
02 - Ross Kennedy  - I Gaed A Waefu' Gate
03 - John Nichol  - Fy Let Us A' To Kirkcudbright
04 - Jim Reid  - Thou Ling'ring Star
05 - Ross Kennedy  - O For My Ain King
06 - John Nichol  - O Sad And Heavy + Wilt Thou Be Our Deary
07 - Steve Byrne  - Clarinda
08 - Gordon Kelly  - 'Twas In The Seventeen Hunder Year
09 - Jim Reid  - My Love, She's But A Lassie Yet
10 - Kirsten Easdale  - Had I A Cave + Farewell, Thou Fair Day
11 - John Nichol  - True-Hearted Was He
12 - Steve Byrne  - My Father Was A Farmer
13 - Billy Ross  - Thickest Night + How Lang And Dreary Is The Night
14 - Lesley Hale  - Fate Gave The Word
15 - John Croall  - Here's To Thy Health + O, Wat Ye Wha's In Yon Town
16 - Lionel McClelland  - O, Wert Thou In The Cauld Blast
17 - Kirsten Easdale  - As I Came O'er The Cairney Mount + Dainty Davie
18 - Tich Frier  - As I Stood By
19 - Tich Frier & Lesley Hale  - O Philly
20 - Rod Paterson  - 'Twas Even
21 - Tich Frier  - Stay, My Charmer
22 - Billy Ross  - O Wert Thou, Love
23 - Kirsten Easdale  - In Simmer

cd2\
01 - Rod Paterson  - Heard Ye O' The Tree O' France
02 - Steve Byrne  - Here Is The Glen
03 - John Nichol  - The Taylor Fell Thro The Bed
04 - Jim Reid  - Fair The Face Of Orient Day
05 - Kirsten Easdale  - Aften Hae I Play'd With The Cards And The Dice
06 - Ross Kennedy  - In Tarbolton
07 - John Croall  - There Was A Lass
08 - Rod Paterson  - By Allan Stream
09 - Findlay Napier  - Up And Warn A', Willie
10 - Kirsten Easdale  - O I Forbid You
11 - Wendy Weatherby  - In Edinburgh Town + Cock Up Your Beaver
12 - Kirsten Easdale  - As I Cam Down By Annan Side
13 - Rod Paterson  - Had I The Wyte + When Maukin Bucks
14 - Wendy Weatherby  - When Mary Cam Over The Border
15 - Findlay Napier & Gordon Kelly  - Saw Ye My Maggie
16 - Billy Ross  - As Honest Jacob On A Night
17 - Tich Frier  - Grim Grizzel + The Night
18 - Christine Kydd  - The Cares O' Love + Come Rede Me Dame
19 - Janet Reid  - While Prose-Work And Rhymes + When Princes And Prelates
20 - Tich Frier  - I'll Tell You A Tale
21 - John Croall  - O Wha'll Mow Me Now
22 - John Croall  - Amang Our Young Lasses
23 - Wendy Weatherby  - Green Grow The Rashes, O (Bawdy Version) + Altho' My Back Be At The Wa'
24 - Rod Paterson  - There Was Twa Wives

VA - The Complete Songs of Robert Burns (12 CD)\volume_12\

01 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
02 - Tich Frier  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - I Am A Son Of Mars
03 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
04 - Mairi MacInnes  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - I Once Was A Maid
05 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
06 - Tich Frier  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Sir Wisdom's A Fool
07 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
08 - Mairi MacInnes  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - A Highland Lad My Love Was Born
09 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
10 - Rod Patterson  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Let Me Ryke Up To Dight That Tear
11 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
12 - Ian Bruce  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - My Bonie Lass
13 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
14 - Ian Bruce  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - I Am A Bard
15 - Fred Freeman  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - Recitation
16 - Rod Patterson  - Life & Liberty (A Cantata) - See The Smoking Bowl
17 - Ross Kennedy  - It's Up Wi The Souters O Selkirk
18 - Steve Byrne  - You're Welcome To Despots, Dumourier
19 - Gordon Kelly  - Again Rejoicing Nature Sees
20 - Jim Reid  - Adieu!
21 - Kirsten Easdale  - Orthodox, Orthodox
22 - Gordon Kelly  - O Wat Ye Wha That Lo'es Me
23 - John Nichol  - O Bonie Was Yon Rosy Brier + O Lovely Polly Stewart
24 - Steve Byrne  - Farewell Thou Stream
25 - Christine Kydd  - The Auld Man's Mare's Dead + What Will I Do Gin My Hoggie Die
26 - Gordon Kelly  - Now Spring Has Clad
27 - John Nichol  - There Was A Bonie Lass + Does Haughty Gaul Invasion Threat
28 - Christine Kydd  - Go On Sweet Bird
29 - Wendy Weatherby  - Dire Was The Hate
30 - Jim Reid  - O Sing A New Song
31 - Rod Patterson  - O How Shall I Unskilfu' Try
32 - Tich Frier  - Ah Chloris Since It May Not Be + O My Luve's Like A Red, Red Rose (Part Original Version)