Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe - In Chronological Order (4 CD, 1991/FLAC)

 
Recording as Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie at their 1929 debut recording session the couple cut six numbers, three featuring Kansas Joe as a vocalist, two with Minnie taking the vocals and the third found them duetting. These recordings weren’t afforded immediate issue but were released over a period of time. For example, the coupling Bumble Bee / I Want That was not on sale until some fifteen months later. It was to be the suggestive Bumble Bee (“Got the best stinger I’ve ever seen”) that was to make Memphis Minnie. So successful was the song that Victor “borrowed” Minnie to record a version fronting a caucus of the Memphis Jug Band. Vocalion then responded with Bumble Bee No. 2 and New Bumble Bee. The song was such hot property on the race market that in the last six months of 1930, unreleased recordings apart, there were no fewer than five versions, on three different labels, of Bumble Bee  three of which are present on this compilation. The sheer drive of the two guitars, the strength of imagery and intuitive awareness of one another’s musical needs made for a perfect team. Take a song like, When The Levee Breaks, that lyrically mirrors the harsh realities of living near the artificial river banks with lines like, “If it keep on raining, levee’s gonna break an’ all these people have no place to stay” whilst the twin guitar rhythms help create a complete fusion of feeling. On less intense, more hokum based numbers like She Wouldn’t Give Me None or Can I Do It For You a variant on the “Mama Let Me Lay It On You” theme) the duo display astonishing empathy in their guitar playing, most notably by Minnie. To quote guitarist Woody Mann on her technique “she seemed to be able to pick sounds from all around Memphis and integrate them into her playing”. As main vocalist Memphis Minnie can be heard on Mister Tango Blues and I’m Talking About You and give good insight into her ability to modulate her voice to suit the mood of the lyric. Whether it be slow meaningful blues or up-tempo lighter material she judiciously croaks, moans, twists and cracks her voice to achieve a fine sense of the dramatic.








Vol. 1
01 - I Want That
02 - That Will Be Alright
03 - Goin' Back to Texas
04 - 'Frisco Town
05 - When the Levee Breaks
06 - Bumble Bee (148712)
07 - I'm Gonna Bake My Biscuits
08 - Mister Tango Blues
09 - She WOuldn't Give Me None
10 - What Fault You Find of Me Part 1
11 - What Fault You Find of Me Part 2
12 - I'm Talking About You
13 - Bumble Bee (MEM-773)
14 - Can I Do It For You Part 1
15 - Can I Do It For You Part 2
16 - I'm Going Back Home
17 - Bumble Bee Blues (59993)
18 - Meningitis Blues
19 - I Never Told a Lie
20 - I Don't Want No Woman I Have to Give My Money to
21 - Georgia Skin
22 - I Don't Want No Woman (C-5817)
23 - I'm Wild About My Stuff

Vol. 2
01 - Memphis Minnie-Jitis Blues (take A)
02 - Good Girl Blues
03 - My Mary Blues
04 - Plymouth Rock Blues
05 - Cherry Ball Blues
06 - Botherin' That Thing
07 - Bumble Bee, No. 2
08 - Georgia Skin Blues
09 - New Dirty Dozen
10 - New Bumble Bee
11 - Frankie Jean (That Trottin' Fool)
12 - I'm Talking 'bout You, No. 2
13 - She Put Me Outdoors
14 - Pile Drivin' Blues
15 - I Called You This Morning
16 - Grandpa and Grandma Blues
17 - Garage Fire Blues
18 - What's the Matter with the Mill
19 - North Memphis Blues
20 - Beat It Right
21 - Preachers Blues
22 - Shake Mattie
23 - My Wash Woman's Gone

Vol. 3
01 - I Don't Want That Junk Outa You
02 - Crazy Cryin' Blues
03 - Tricks Ain't Walking No More
04 - Don't Bother It
05 - Today Today Blues
06 - Lay My Money Down (If You Run Around)
07 - Hard Down Lie
08 - Somebody's Got To Help You
09 - Pickin' The Blues
10 - Let's Go To Town
11 - Soo Cow Soo
12 - After While Blues
13 - Fishin' Blues
14 - Jailhouse Trouble Blues
15 - Outdoor Blues
16 - Where Is My Good Man
17 - You Stole My Cake
18 - Kind Treatment Blues
19 - You Know You Done Me Wrong
20 - Joliet Bound
21 - Stranger's Blues
22 - Socket Blues

Vol. 4
01 - My Butcher Man
02 - Too Late
03 - Ain't No Use Trying To Tell On Me
04 - Stinging Snake Blues
05 - Drunken Barrel House Blues
06 - I Got To Have A Little More
07 - Someday I'll Be In The clay
08 - Evil Devil Woman Blues
09 - Going Back Home Blues
10 - Meat Cutter Blues
11 - You Got To Move - Pt 1
12 - Keep It To Yourself
13 - Keep It To Yourself (Alt)
14 - Chickasaw Train Blues (Low Down Dirty Thing)
15 - Banana Man Blues (I Don't Want That Thing)
16 - You Got To Move - Pt 2
17 - Hole In The Wall
18 - Give It To Me In My Hand (Can I Go Home With You)
19 - Squat It
20 - Moaning The Blues