Johnny Otis Rhythm & Blues Caravan - The Complete Savoy Recordings [3 CD, 1999/FLAC]

 

Although generally best known to the masses for his 1958 hit with the Bo Diddley beat, "Willie and the Hand Jive," Johnny Otis has had a remarkable career. For more than 50 years, Otis has been a drummer, vibraphonist, bandleader, record producer, talent scout, label owner, nightclub impresario, disc jockey, TV variety-show host, author, rock & roll star, painter, and entrepreneur in the health-food business. Born in Northern California in 1921 to Greek-American parents (his real name is John Veliotes), Otis felt more comfortable with the African-American culture that surrounded him in his formative years and adopted it as his own. The Complete Savoy Recordings is a 3-CD compilation that stylishly presents his beginnings as a bandleader and talent scout. As amply displayed here, Otis deserves his place in the upper tier of rhythm & blues pioneers. Through his work with and discoveries of such renowned talent as Jimmy Rushing, Little Esther Philips, the Robins (some of whom went on to form the Coasters), Mel Walker, Marilyn Scott, Linda Hopkins, Bill Doggett, and Jay McNeely, Otis has had a profound influence on American music.

CD 1

1  Harlem Nocturne
2  Jimmy's Round The Clock
3  My Baby's Business
4  Preston Love's Mansion
5  Midnight In The Barrelhouse
6  Boogie Guitar
7  Ain't Nuthin Shakin
8  Hangover Blues
9  Get Together Blues
10  I'm Not Falling In Love With You
11  If It's So Baby
12  Our Romance Is Gone
13  If I Didn't Love You So
14  Rain In My Eyes
15  Double Crossing Blues
16  Headhunter
17  Going To See My Baby
18  The Little Red Hen
19  New Orleans Shuffle
20  The Turkey Hop (Part 1)
21  The Turkey Hop (Part 2)
22  Blues Nocturne
23  Cry Baby
24  Lover's Lane Boogie
25  I Found Out My Troubles
26  Misery

CD 2

1  I'm Through
2  I'm Living O.K.
3  There Ain't No Use Begging
4  You're Fine But Not My Kind
5  Helpless
6  Cool And Easy
7  Mistrustin' Blues
8  Dreamin' Blues
9  Cupid's Boogie
10  Just Can't Get Free
11  My Heart Tells Me
12  Lost Dream Blues
13  Deceivin' Blues
14  Lonely Blues
15  Strange Woman
16  Freight Train Boogie
17  Good Time Blues
18  Sunset To Dawn
19  Wedding Boogie
20  Faraway Christmas Blues
21  Love Will Break Your Heart
22  Rockin' Blues
23  I Don't Care
24  I Dream
25  Beer Bottle Boogie
26  Uneasy Blues

CD 3

1  It Can Never Happen Again
2  Gee Baby
3  Fool's Gold
4  Feel Like Crying Again
5  Heartache, Here I Come
6  Turn The Lights Down Low
7  Hold Me Close
8  Gonna Take A Train
9  Doggin' Blues
10  Chitlin' Switch
11  Warning Blues
12  Warning Blues
13  Hunter Hancock Theme
14  Mambo Boogie
15  New Love
16  Just Ask Another Flame
17  I'll Ask My Heart
18  It Ain't The Beauty
19  All Night Long
20  Help Me Blues
21  Walkin' Shoe Blues
22  Honky Tonk Boogie
23  Because I Love My Baby So
24  Wheres My Baby
25  Three Magic Words