Blind Boy Fuller - Complete Recorded Works Vol. 1-6 (1935-1940) [6 CD, 1992/FLAC]

 

Blind Boy Fuller
(born Fulton Allen) (July 10, 1907 - February 13, 1941) was an American blues guitarist and vocalist. He was one of the most popular of the recorded Piedmont blues artists with rural Black Americans, a group that also included Blind Blake, Josh White, and Buddy Moss.







Vol. 1
"The finest collection ever of blues and ragtime. Fuller is here both solo and with Gary Davis, Sonny Terry, and Bull City Red. This is Piedmont blues at its best (1935-1936), a must for anyone interested in down-home blues."-- AMG review by Barry Lee Pearson

Vol. 2
"The second volume in Document's chronological overview of Blind Boy Fuller's life and music contains some of his most popular recordings, including the 1936 sessions which yielded both "Truckin' My Blues Away" (an update of Tampa Red's "What Is It That Tastes Like Gravy?") and "Mama Let Me Lay It on You" (a rendition of Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe's "Can I Do It for You?"), both of them definitive versions. Fuller's gift for making familiar songs his own pops again on his next session, from early February of 1937; backed by Dipper Boy Council and Bull City Red, he delivers renditions of "Mamie," "Untrue Blues" (a version of the "Crow Jane" theme) and "New Oh Red!," all of them revelatory and unforgettable."

Vol. 3
"The 22 sides which comprise the third volume in Document's Blind Boy Fuller retrospective were all culled from sessions cut in the latter half of 1937; the first session, from mid-July, was recorded under the auspices of the Decca label, a situation which left Fuller's longtime manager J.B. Long -- as well as ARC Records -- none too happy. As a result, at the bluesman's next session, Long insisted he re-record many of the titles earlier cut for Decca, resulting in alternate takes of "Bulldog Blues," "Throw Your Yas Yas Back in Jail" (a.k.a. "Put You Back in Jail") and "Steel Hearted Woman" (a.k.a. "Why Don't My Baby Write to Me"); for blues historians, the chance to compare and contrast the sessions will be irresistible, although more casual fans might find this particular release less engaging than the others in the series."

Vol. 4
"Beginning with the mid-December, 1937 session which kicks off this fourth volume in Document's retrospective, Blind Boy Fuller entered into a recording partnership with the legendary harpist Sonny Terry that continued for the remainder of Fuller's studio career. Terry's blistering harmonica and falsetto interjections lent an exciting new dynamic to Fuller's sound, as classic sides like "Pistol Snapper Blues," "Mean and No Good Woman" and "Georgia Ham Mama" amply prove, each musician pushing the other to new creative heights."

Vol. 5
"Volume five in Document's Blind Boy Fuller series is comprised primarily of two prolific sessions, the first recorded in Columbia, South Carolina on October 29, 1938 with harpist Sonny Terry and washboard player Bull City Red, the second a Memphis date from July 12, 1939 with Terry, Bull City Red (now going as Oh Red) and second guitarist Sonny Jones. The latter is perhaps the most impressive, yielding the signature song "I Want Some of Your Pie" as well as "You've Got Something There" (a rewrite of Buddy Moss' "Daddy Don't Care") and Fuller's immortal rendition of J.B. Long's "Step It Up and Go.""

Vol. 6
"The sixth and final volume in the series assembles the fruits of Blind Boy Fuller's final studio sessions, all dating to the first half of 1940. Despite failing health, Fuller is at his most incendiary on these sides -- "Shake It, Baby" is among his most galvanizing dance tunes, while "Little Woman You're So Sweet" stands as one of his finest originals. Most energetic, however, are the sanctified songs, including "No Stranger Now," "Jesus Is a Holy Man" and "Twelve Gates to the City" -- with his death less than a year away, Fuller burns with spiritual intensity, clearly yearning for some kind of redemption in his final months."

 

Vol. 1 - 23 September 1935 to 29 April 1936
01. Baby, I Don't Have To Worry
02. I'm A Rattlesnakin' Daddy
03. I'm Climbin' On Top of the Hill
04. Ain't It a Crying Shame
05. Looking For My Woman
06. Rag Mama Rag (unissued)
07. Rag Mama Rag
08. Baby, You Gotta Change Your Mind
09. Evil Hearted Woman
10. My Brownskin Sugar Plum
11. Somebody's Been Playing with that Thing
12. Log Cabin Blues
13. Log Cabin Blues (unissued)
14. Homesick and Lonesome Blues
15. Walking My Troubles Away
16. Walking My Troubles Away (unissued)
17. Black and Tan
18. Keep Away from My Woman
19. Keep Away from My Woman (unissued)
20. Babe You Got to Do Better
21. Big Bed Blues
22. Truckin' My Blues Away
23. (I Got a Woman Crazy for Me) She's Funny That Way
24. Cat Man Blues (unissued)

Vol. 2 - 29 April 1936 to 12 July 1937
01 - Cat man blues (take 2)
02 - When your gal packs up and leaves
03 - Mama let me lay it on you
04 - If you don`t give me what I want
05 - Boots and shoes
06 - Trucking my blues away no. 2 (take 1)
07 - Trucking my blues away no. 2 (take 2)
08 - Sweet honey hole
09 - Untrue blues
10 - Tom cat blues
11 - My baby don`t mean me no good
12 - Been your dog
13 - My best gal gonna leave me
14 - Wires all down
15 - Let me squeeze your lemon
16 - Death Alley
17 - Mamie (take 1)
18 - Mamie (take 2)
19 - New Oh red!
20 - If you see my pigmeat
21 - Stingy mama
22 - Why don`t my baby write to me?
23 - Some day you`re gonna be sorry
24 - You never can tell

Vol. 3 - 12 July to 15 December 1937
01 - Put you back in the jail
02 - Walking and looking blues
03 - Bulldog blues (62359)
04 - Where my woman usta lay
05 - Working man blues
06 - Weeping willow
07 - Corrine what makes you treat me so?
08 - Stealing bo-hog
09 - Worried and evil man blues
10 - Bull dog blues (21629)
11 - Break of day blues
12 - Oh zee zas rag
13 - Throw your yas yas back in jail
14 - Snake woman blues
15 - Mojo hidin` woman
16 - Steel hearted woman
17 - Ain`t no gettin` along
18 - Careless love
19 - New Louise Louise blues
20 - Mistreater, you`re going to be sorry
21 - Bye bye baby blues
22 - Looking for my woman no. 2

Vol. 4 - 15 December 1937 to 29 October 1938
01 - Shaggy like a bear
02 - Ten o`clock peeper
03 - Hungry calf blues
04 - Too many women blues
05 - Oozin` you off my mind
06 - Shake that shimmy
07 - Heart ease blues
08 - I`m going to move (to the edge of town)
09 - Pistol slapper blues
10 - Mean and no good woman
11 - Georgia ham mama
12 - Piccolo rag
13 - Funny feeling blues
14 - Painful hearted man
15 - You`ve got to move it out
16 - Mama let me lay it on you no. 2
17 - Meat shakin` woman
18 - I`m a good stem winder
19 - What`s that smells like fish
20 - She`s a truckin` little baby
21 - Jivin` woman blues
22 - You`re laughing now

Vol. 5 - 29 October 1938 to 5 March 1940
01 - Stop jivin` me mama
02 - Long time trucker
03 - Big house bound
04 - Flyin` airplane blues
05 - Get your yas yas out
06 - Jitterbug rag
07 - Screaming and crying blues
08 - Blacksnakin` jiver
09 - I don`t care how long
10 - You`ve got something there
11 - Baby quit your low down ways (take 1)
12 - Baby quit your low down ways (take 2)
13 - It doesn`t matter baby
14 - Black bottom blues
15 - I crave my pig meat
16 - Big leg woman gets my pay
17 - I`m a stranger here
18 - Red`s got the piccolo blues
19 - I want some of your pie
20 - Jivin` Big Bill blues
21 - Woman you better wake up
22 - Step it up and go
23 - Worn out engine blues

Vol. 6 - 5 March to 19 June 1940
01 - Blue and worried man
02 - Passenger train woman
03 - Shake it baby
04 - Somebody`s been talkin`
05 - Three ball blues
06 - Little woman you`re so sweet
07 - Harmonica stomp (Sonny Terry)
08 - Good feeling blues
09 - You can`t hide from the lord
10 - Twelve gates to the city
11 - Crooked woman blues
12 - I don`t want no skinny woman
13 - Bus rider blues
14 - You got to have your dollar
15 - Lost lover blues
16 - Thousand woman blues
17 - Bye bye baby
18 - When you are gone
19 - No stranger now
20 - Must have been my Jesus
21 - Jesus is a holy man
22 - Precious Lord
23 - Night rambling woman